get wifi going

Hey,
I'm trying Debian 1104 a stab again on the Asus 701.
I connected to WIFI for the install, and it found networks in my
neighborhood, and I connected to mine, and did the CLI install.
Then when I logged in, I had no WIFI.
So I copied a known good wpa_supplicant.conf file into /etc/wpa_supplicant,
and I only noticed two other files in that directory, ifupdown.sh and
action_wpa.sh
I found a command on-line for launching wpa_supplicant, but this OS does not
recognize the  command wpa_supplicant.
Then I tried
iwlist wlan0 scan
and this OS didn't understand wlist
I did ip a
and it listed enough stuff that I think it is seeing my WIFI adapter.
So, does Debian use something other than wpa_supplicant?
Thanks.

Glenn