Embossing 8 dot Braille

Hi

I have set up the Index Everest V5 over Ethernet for embossing. Embossing a
document with lp works. Now I am trying to print some "verbatim" text, ideally
as 8 dot computer braille:

$ lp -d EverestV5 -o "LibLouis=de-de-comp8" myfile.txt

The embosser announces an error about an unknown escape sequence and the
cups/error.log says:
 unsupported non-ASCII character in BRF file
In case that's relevant, the file that I'm trying to print is actually ASCII,
though I suppose the non-ASCII characters stemm from the conversion.

Thanks
Sebastian