Some times no sound after login into Mate

Hi,

with Debian 11, latest updates and backports enabled, I very ofthen have the
problem that no sound is available after login into Mate. I normaly use a
headset for work and when this headset is plugged in all is fine. But
sometimes, when I want to use the laptop without the headset, no sound is
there after login into Mate. Sometimes a reboot fixes this issue, very
ofthen this does not help. To get sound back the only working fix is to
plugin the headset and plug it of again.

Strangely this whole thing is totaly random. Sometimes its working wit or
without a headset  for days, but e.g. this morning even two reboots did not
bring sound back with no headset plugged in.

Is there a reproducable way or configuration I can have sound in Mate in
all situations and where it does not matter if a headset is plugged in or
not? Is this another bad issue with pulseaudio and might a switch to
pipewire help?

Ciao and thanks for any helpfull hint,

  Schoepp