debian firmware July 22, 2020 install

I had gone with the default software selection of 1,6,10,12 for
accessibility.  Speakup says ok on booting and nothing else until I ctty
into tty1 then I get a login prompt and can log into the system.  orca
does not come up talking when system is allowed to run until the disk
drive goes silent.  Using orca -e is ineffective.
Will it be possible to have orca come up talking on this system and if not
I hope I'll be able to remove the debian desktop environment and mate.
Haven't tried that yet since I'm to move and haven't got time to do much
with computers for a few days.