Re: problem with enabling orca in newest debian

Adri Orjales, le sam. 18 juil. 2020 19:43:01 +0200, a ecrit:
> Orca talks in the login screen, but if oulseaudio is rubning, when you log in,
> orca becomes silent.

I am not getting such issue. Is the lightdm-started pulseaudio still
running in that case? (that said, in my tests it is, but that is not
preventing from the user-started pulseaudio to be working)

(note that it's not an "orca becomes silent": the orca running in
the user session is not the same as the orca running in the lightdm
session).

> In my case, I've tested it a couple of times and the problem is pulse.

Which version of Debian did you test this with?

> I don't understand why Debian is beeing released again and
> again with the same problem.

Because nobody is actually working on discussing with maintainers of the
pulseaudio stack to find an acceptable solution.

> Please, when using speech syntesis installation mode, run pulse as
> root by default.

That'd open way too many security concerns, since pulseaudio is *not*
meant to be run as root, and thus doesn't contain all the corresponding
required security cautions.