How do I set up a desktop in Mate?

Hello Everyone,

I got disgusted with the way Microsoft keeps messing up my computers with its updates, so I installed Mate on my Debian system. However, I miss the convenience of
the Windows desktop. Ctrl+alt+d is suposed to start a desktop. However, it does nothing. I would like something like the Windows desktop with first-letter
navigation to the apps I use most, the trash, Etc. What are the steps for setting one up?

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer