speakup-ng clipboard functions broken

I use the clipboard in speakup to copy several things normally or did
until earlier today.
When copying an url I checked the contents of the clipboard since when I
tried to paste things didn't work any longer.  All that was in the
clipboard was a series of slash characters with no intervening characters
of any kind.  I suppose that's useful for ascii art but it doesn't work
here.  I switched over to fenrirscreenreader and hope if it has a set of
cut and paste functions for a clipboard these work better than is the case
these days in speakup.  I did the switch on slint and am wondering if
debian's version of speakup also has this flaw in it.