Re: sound card ordering

On 20/08/2019 21:47, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Hello,

Keith Barrett, le lun. 19 août 2019 15:55:01 +0100, a ecrit:
On 18/08/2019 21:08, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Keith Barrett, le dim. 18 août 2019 20:30:50 +0100, a ecrit:
Interesting, I have not modified /etc/default/espeakup but it does not seem
to specify a card:

ALSA_CARD=""

Oh? were you installing with speakup enabled during installation?

Yes I was

Uh, that's odd then. Was the VOICE variable also not set?
Yes,
VOICE=en

unless it was because the installer only detected one of the cards?

No, in my tests even in that case it would write the ID.

That's where specifying either MID or DGX instead of 0/1 allows to avoid
relying on the ordering.
OK, thank you, so do I just need to specify in /etc/default/espeakup

Yes, that's it!
Sorry for the noise but I have probably been going about this in the wrong way. So I have now specified MID in /etc/default/espeakup and that does cause espeakup to start with speech each time the system boots. However, the card ordering is still very random which means that although espeakup is always working, if the cards load so that MID is not 0, I get no other system sounds and orca does not work in the gui.

So, I suppose what I should be trying to achieve is to cause the sound cards to retain their correct numbering so that all sound works following a reboot.