Re: sound card ordering

Hello,

Keith Barrett, le sam. 17 août 2019 13:41:14 +0100, a ecrit:
> There are two sound cards in the system but only one was detected when I
> installed buster.
>
> When the system starts, the card ordering is not reliable so on occasions
> the non working asus card is card 0 hence producing no speech output.

I'm surprised: what ALSA_CARD do you have in /etc/default/espeakup?

> Is this known and how can I force the onboard card to be always card 0?

Normally the installer uses named identifiers instead of numbered
identifiers: in /proc/asounc/cards you can find e.g.

 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xdc428000 irq 143

You would have "PCH" in /etc/default/espeakup's ALSA_CARD instead of 0,
to thus have a more reliable specifier.