sound card ordering

Hello,

Debian bullseye upgraded from buster amd64.
Pulseaudio removed and purged.

There are two sound cards in the system but only one was detected when I installed buster.

When the system starts, the card ordering is not reliable so on occasions the non working asus card is card 0 hence producing no speech output.

I think it may be down to the order of module loading as creating /;etc/asound.conf does not appear to work.

Is this known and how can I force the onboard card to be always card 0?
Thanks

Keith