Re: Accessibility options in Debian

Hi Aaron,

Aaron schrieb am 22.07.2019, 14:36 -0400:
>Thanks for the suggestions. I tried installing Orca on a Raspberry Pi
>the other day, but it seemed to have trouble with the Pixel desktop. I
>was a little concerned after reading that Orca is tightly integrated
>with the Gnome desktop, but more recent information seems to suggest
>that it can be used with Mate and even XFCE/LXDE.
I even ran Orca with Fluxbox, but then you have to expect that the menu (not
written in GTK and QT) won't be accessible. But it works ;-).
Without kidding: Mate, it is very accessible for my daily work and I can
recommend it.

>I haven't been able to get the "Install with speech synthesis" option to
>work at all yet, if that is the flaw you are referring to.
Could you describe in more detail the issues that you are having?

>I have been able to get Orca working quite well on Buster Mate and am
>figuring out how to change the voice to one of the FLite arctic options.
>Oddly, Orca does not have an entry on the Mate start menu.
It is in the menu under system / Settings / Personal / Assistive Technologies
(terms might vary slightly). There you can enable assistive technologies and
this will enable Orca.

>Is anyone using emacspeak? This seems to be a new option that comes up a
>lot, and looks similar to the Knoppix Adriane project.
I am not using it, but AFAIU Emacspeak is an screen reader for Emacs and as such
brilliant if you are working with in the Emacs ecosystem; it's an editor
nevertheless. Adriane provides a menu-based user interface that enables the user
to choose between browsing, e-mail and other tasks, instead of presenting a
desktop environment. My information might be a bit outdated, though.

Cheers
SebastianCheers
sebCheers
sebCheers