Re: espeakup

On 7/25/2018 6:54 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018, Samuel Thibault wrote:

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 20:29:26
From: Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org>
To: Frank Carmickle <frank@carmickle.com>
Cc: debian-accessibility@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: espeakup

Hello,

Frank Carmickle, le mar. 17 juil. 2018 12:45:56 -0400, a ecrit:
  I?m having issues where speech just stops. Killing espeakup and restarting it is the only thing that seems to help. It does not appear to crash. Does anyone have any ideas about how this can be improved?

Well, by debugging the issue so that we get to know what to fix. You can
install the espeakup-dbgsym package from the debug Debian archive, and
then use as root

     gdb /usr/bin/espeakup $(pidof espeakup)

and at the gdb> prompt type

     thread apply all bt full

so we have an idea of what it is doing.

How close to upstream master is the current package? I see that a few patches have been applied to the latest released version. I?m wondering if I compile it locally if I?ll see any improvements?

I don't think the patches applied can fix the issue you are having.

Samuel

Is it necessary to modify our sources.list file to use the debug debian
archive and if so, what would that line or those lines need to be?

Have a look here:

https://wiki.debian.org/AutomaticDebugPackages

--
John Doe