debian-mac install

I ended up using the netinst image and got me an install. nmtui fails to connect to my network and so far as I can tell, the device: and Password: fields are empty in the wifi connection profile. Even though the correct essid profile is available somehow that device: field is left empty. That to me seems strange since if the system couldn't find the device how can it possibly know anything about the correct essid?
So the nmtui tunnel is blocked by a cave in.
Next question when I log in, I have to hit control-alt-f2 and then enter my login credentials since the original interface which mate provides neither echos my keystrokes or apparently accepts any of the keystrokes. Under these constraints, can I use some keys to get me onto the mate desktop? If so, I think I can get onto the top bar with control-alt-escape and then go into network connections and get this system onto the network. Could it be after the login prompt first speaks on the system I need to wait for a while for a desktop to come up along with other parts of mate? I'm a touch typist who learned typing back in the 1960's so tend to be rather impatient with keying stuff in on computers and expecting them to go at least as fast as my typewriters did.

I did find out /etc/network/interfaces copied from the system just before finish up login got erased on /target after I finished up installing the system. It ought to be possible in ash to run /target/usr/bin/wpa_passphrase and key in the essid and password and non-destructively redirect output to /target/etc/network/interfaces if that file were not sanitized by the installer but since that file is going to be sanitized for us wifi-users it's not worth the trouble to try that particular tunnel.