probably inadequate package selection

One machine I have has 1gb of ram and I installed debian on the machine and chose desktop environment; gnome, print server, and standard utilities in package selection part of the installation. I rebooted the machine and heard screen reader on which I expected but nothing more after that if I leave the keyboard alone. The only way I was able to log in was control-alt-f1 <enter> and I used speakup to log in.
From there I couldn't get to the gnome environment with desktop and other
utilities.
Can I fix this by also installing mate then choosing mate for desktop environment on this machine? The other machine I have has many more resources but ssd disks are expensive and I only have two of those now. More sata drives which is what the smaller machine uses.