getting flite working on debian testing

Hi, I was now trying to get flite working on testing as my default speech synthesizer with speakup. I installed speechd-up and speech-dispatcher and edited the configuration files which debconf at low priority should have had options for setting up the default sound device and default synthesizer could this not be added in the next version? Now regardless of what sound device I uncomment and set as the default speechd-up tries to connect to pulse when it does not even look like pulse is even installed. I was reading on this list that speechd-up was marked for removing from testing but why not use this method rather then espeakup to give users more choices for synthesizers? Nick Gawronski