stretch orca and wifi connection setup

Has anyone managed to set up a wifi connection to the internet using stretch and orca yet? I can get terminal and console level access to root but orca does not speak when graphical user interface access is attempted and so far as I can tell orca will not speak in graphical user interface even with specific attempts to start or restart orca once root access is obtained. If I can somehow navigate this, I am pretty certain I'll be able to get a wifi network up and connected. With terminal access on orca and with speakup access, I can get to a side pane with network and internet in it but cannot work that control even as root so am hoping another way exists to get this done since ethernet access isn't available here yet.