Re: gnome-speech and dasher

On Tue, 2015-09-01 at 17:08 +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
> gnome-speech is deprecated since GNOME 3.  There is only one reverse
> dependency left, which is dasher, which also seems abandoned upstream

I see that dasher is in jessie and sid.

It was (and I think, still is) one of the most innovative research tools
in accessibility, invented by David MacKay (a guy definitely worth
attention):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_J._C._MacKay

and implemented by his Cambridge research group:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasher_%28software%29

The licence is GPL.

If I remember correctly, the authors said that they applied a "copyleft"
patent, in order to guarantee that nobody could patent it otherwise.

I would definitely keep it, though I must say I didn't follow its
evolution and I am not aware of its current status, therefore I may miss
a point here. Why do you want to remove it? Is maintaining it causing
some useless work or any technical problem?

Loredana Lo Conte