Unable to get Orca speaking...

Hi all,

I’m running Debian Jessie on a I386 laptop.

2 days ago, I typed in a terminal
apt-get update & apt-get upgrade
It was the moment when my nightmare started! :-)

In fact, after that, I am not able to use Orca because it does not speak anything…
I checked Orca settings and even reconfigured it manually and used default settings, but I didn’t succeed in making it speak something.
I’ve already checked that speech-dispatcher is running and working properly…

What could be going wrong in my installation?

Speakup in the console is working perfectly, so it looks like a weird bug in Orca…
Apparently Gnome is working properly as well, since it shows the gnome-shell graphic interface regularly.

Could you give me directions on how to understand what’s going wrong, so that I can file eventual bug reports and/or fix the problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Vincenzo.