Re: Debian desktop a11y

Hi,

Ok so I installed testing and tested MATE with Orca. It worked fine, except that Mozilla apps seemed unaccessible. I could access to them with Orca after this command:

cp -R /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0/ /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/

I don't know why that's needed, but I guess it could be handled through symlinks in the distro.

Now I'd like, so that Debian accessibility to be full for sighted impaired users, to install Compiz. Thus, we'd have MATE + Orca for blind people; MATE + Orca + Compiz + colours customizations for others. I know that Compiz is no longer in Debian and I'm ready to upgrade the package. I know it works with MATE, not in Gnome3. And there're less bugs in MATE.

My questions: is there some specific things to know to package Compiz? e.g. compiz-fusion, etc.? I'll join devs to see also how to make it work on MATE.

Finally, I'll submit bugreports to MATE to improve a11y, which isn't perfect today (not reading of title bars, workspaces, etc.). Problems also in Orca and mozilla apps with the focus. I'll see also if an update of MATE will be planned in Debian before freeze. But I really hope to package and include Compiz in the next stable given that all it brings.

Regards,