Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

Hello,

Please keep debian-accessibility in Cc for accessibility matters,
otherwise concerned people won't be able to provide information :)

Neil Williams, le Thu 24 Oct 2013 18:08:56 +0100, a écrit :
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 18:31:52 +0200
> Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On 24/10/13 at 16:40 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > > This goes back to during the wheezy release cycle. There was a
> > > little discussion around a change in tasksel [1], but rather too
> > > late in the day for the change to make sense. Now we have rather
> > > more time, I feel. Let's change the default desktop for
> > > installation to xfce.
> > > Cons:
> > >  * <please fill in here>
> >
> > What's the the status of XFCE regarding accessibility?
> >
> > That was a big strengh of GNOME for a long time, though I've heard
> > rumors (sorry not to be more specific) that gnome-shell has some
> > unsolved issues in that regard, which is a problem since GNOME
> > classic/fallback mode is gone in 3.8.
> >
> > Even if not a strong requirement, I like the idea of an accessible
> > default Debian desktop.
>
> Most of the apps used on top of GNOME will continue to work with XFCE,
> it's not as if the underlying libraries are changing. If anything, it's
> *less* work to get such apps working with XFCE than it will be
> migrating to full GNOME integration.

Well, if the desktop itself, i.e. what is used to start applications, is
not accessible, one can't start applications, be they accessible or not
:)