Getting Espeakup to open the soundcard instereo

Try getting Espeak to go through an alsa device, then configure
that alsa device to convert mono to stereo   -- should be doable
via an appropriately configured .alsa file.  ESpeak might   well
be using pulseaudio -- and that might complicate things.

--
Best Regards,
--raman