Getting Espeakup to open the soundcard instereo

Hi,

I'm trying to get Espeakup working with an external USB soundcard, due to the crash issues one faces when using Espeakup with the internal soundcard on the Raspberry Pi.

The problem I've run into is that the USB device doesn't know how to handle mono audio. If I play a stereo file, it works fine. If I play a mono one, it fails.

I suspect that Espeakup is failing for the same reason.

Since there doesn't appear to be any command line options to Espeakup to make it do this, I wondered if there might be some ALSA trickery, like using the ALSA_CARD variable to choose which soundcard to use. All the solutions I've found so far however implement something at the plug level which would appear to be a bit high up.

Any thoughts on this?  This is fairly urgent.

Cheers,
Geoff.