Re: Pulseaudio problems back after upgrade

Ok, question.  The reason I ask this rather than just try it is that this is both mine and my girlfriend's production machine.  It is actually the
only one we have between us and I would hate to cause a disaster.

If this /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf file is removed allowing the use of alsa directly rather than using pulse, is it possible to purge the
pulseaudio package, reconfigure whatever needs reconfiguring and run a pure alsa setup?

If it is possible to do this, I need to know the following:

1. If you remove the pulseaudio package, what kinds of dpkg-reconfiguring will have to be done to get orca and speakup back up and running?
2. Can all this be done without losing speech? I have no braille display?
3. What packages would have to be reconfigured to make this possible?

When I installed my debian testing system, I just installed debian desktop environment from the netinst image and it pulled in all this stuff from the
repositories.  I really did not want to have pulseaudio on here, but the installed dragged it in.  I don't know what kinds of dependencies were set up
and what would have to be changed, but, if it is not going to bust this machine, I would like to change over to pure alsa.

This really opens the door to a great possibility.  That is the possibility of having a pure alsa setup like I wanted, hopefully, and prayerfully,
without losing functionality.

Thanks.

--
Doug Smith: Special Agent
S.W.A.T  Spiritual Warfare and Advanced Technology