Pulseaudio problems back after upgrade

Hi,

After an aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade on debian wheezy, I
have some troubles with pulseaudio again.

Espeak from brltty and emacspeak sometimes is choppy, especially at the
end of an utterance the last character is not spoken at times.

However, the biggest problem is the fact emacspeak (espeak) is crashing
quite frequently again. I'm using pulseaudio and this was working quite
well for about 6 months until today's upgrade. I do upgrades about once
a week, so it appears to be something quite recent.

I also notice that I can only really use alsamixer as root now. If I use
it as the normal user I can only control one volume i.e. moving
left/right does nothing. Also, adjusting the volume control only effects
sounds played by the user and not global sound across the machine.

Is anyone else seeing any of this and is there yet a solution?

Cheers,
Daniel