Re: Some troubles with Gnome/Orca

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 06:19:54PM +1100, Jason White wrote:
> Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > Hmm, sounds like a bit of a tricky one which might require a bit more
> > research into it from me. Is there any disadvantage to use alsa for now?
>
> No, other than the Speech-Dispatcher bug that ought to be fixed anyway

Ok, so I decided to try and set it up.
I installed the necessary pulseaudio packages.
I then put in my .bash_profile
pulseaudio --daemonize
and gnome seems to do this by itself
This works alright, but I have some remaining problems.
1. Applications as root do not work. This means I can not use speakup
(via espeakup) and brltty sounds do not play.
Jason, do you run your pulseaudio in system-mode? I did experiment with
this early on, but now things are working reasonably well I'm reluctent
to try unless I know it's the right option.
2. Speech via emacspeak is a little bit choppy - the ends of words are
sometimes omitted. Also the emacspeak espeak driver seems to crash every
now and then and I need to do ctr-e ctr-s to restart it.

Apart from this local user applications seem to be working pretty well.

Thanks for your help,
Daniel