speech-dispatcher install difficulty

I did a fresh debian install and chose desktop environment print server,
database, and standard linux utilities in package selection part of the
install.  Using speakup in root directory I ran orca -t <cr> and was told
that only dummy voice was working and speech-dispatcher couldn't get any
other servers to come up.  I was told to examine
/var/log/speech-dispatcher/speechd.log.  After exiting orca nonetheless
being allowed to make selections on the orca preferences and getting back
to the root prompt, I expected I would have a log file to examine.  No
such luck.  The /var/log/speech-dispatcher/ directory was completely
empty.  The text version of orca setup using speech-dispatcher didn't
write a log file for me.  Next I'll try mashing the backspace key a while
after speakup speech goes away and see if I can get a beep from which to
log into the desktop environment then try running orca in that way.
After that, I'm out of ideas.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>