Question regarding building Speakup into the Debian Installer

Hello,
I am a member of the Vinux Support Group on Google Groups, and while I am visually impaired I am low vision and am able to get away with some things other members of the group cannot. One question that comes up fairly often on our mailing list is a CLI or Server installation, and the problem is that the Ubuntu DI installation is not accessable. I've managed to install the server base OS. Installing sound drivers, espeakup, and speakup from source so my installation is now accessable. I was hoping to modify the installation disk and make it available to those members who have expressed an interest, but lack enough sight to manage the installation without speech. I am able to modify other areas of the disk, and have made several bootable images, but continue to have problems modifying the DI kernel itself. I understand that speakup needs to be made a kernel module, but I'm not able to determine where or how that module is loaded except that it needs to load before the preseed file.

Jeff Malewski