Re: debian-installer: No sound when using software speech

On 4/6/2012 10:21 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Oops, looking at the utils.sh script, it is explicitly set to on there.
Do we know exactly why this is so?  It looks like it poses problems on
Tony's machine.  I can see in the changelog on 19th Sep 2005:

initscript: Don't set "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack"
The driver should set this up properly

So perhaps we should just re-comment that part to let the driver
automatically enable the proper way?  It is a quite serious bug in this
case, because without software speech, makes the installer becomes
unusable for Tony on that machine.

Yes, and any other machine with an Audigy or Audigy II card also has this problem. Google shows many pages of people having the same or similar problems. Even when installing with hardware speech, I still get no sound when booting into the new system. Old Sound Blaster cards (before the Audigy line) don't seem to have this problem. I'm not sure about newer Creative sound cards. This isn't a problem just on my machine. If I wasn't already aware of the issue, I would assume that either software speech is broken or my sound card isn't supported. Who knows how many blind people would give up on Debian because of this. The Ubuntu live CD doesn't seem to have this problem.

Thank you for looking into this.