Re: plans for gnome-orca speech backend

Kenny Hitt <kenny@hittsjunk.net> wrote:
> Hi.  I just noticed the gnome-orca package in testing/unstable still uses gnome-speech for
> output.  Upstream has switch to speech-dispatcher.  What are the current plans for Debian's gnome-orca
> package?

I don't know, but I would recommend migrating ultimately to OpenTTS, which is
a community-led and community-supported (with many bugs fixed) fork of
Speech-Dispatcher.

Gnome-Speech is to be deprecated prior to Gnome 3.0, as I recall.

At some point, it will be necessary to switch to AT-SPI2 as well; it's all
part of the same process of removing Corba from Gnome.