Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 08:50:39PM EST, Jason White wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 09:59:15AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>
> > About the upstream support, speakup works with 2.6.  But I've looked at
> > the source code, and safety/security issues are clearly still there.
> >
> > > Have these issues been taken up on the Speakup mailing list with the
> > > developers?
> >
> > Yes, and it's hard to have patches merged there :(
>
> That's not good. If they don't deal with the problems then their chances of
> ever having their work merged by Linus are within epsilon of 0.

I personally believe that speakup is a lost cause, for this very reason.

> > > Also, it was mentioned in a recent mailing list post that Ubuntu
> > > provides it by default.
> >
> > Possibly.
> >
> > > Perhaps the version they are using fixes the issues you're referring
> > > to.
> >
> > Clearly no (as it would need a huge refactoring of the source code).
>
> I suppose that leaves Yasr as the best alternative unless someone fixes
> Speakup.

Yes indeed. Unfortunately, the primary developer of SPeakup has a "works
for me" attitude, and won't include most things unless someone sends him
the patches.
--
Luke Yelavich
GPG key: 0xD06320CE