Gnopernicus Won't Speak, though Gnome Sound Works

Hi list,
Now sound works both in the console and in Gnome just fine. Festival and Flight speak all right in the console and even the Festival server is running, I think. However, Gnopernicus doesn't give any speech output at all. When testing the Kevin Festival voice in Gnopernicus, it says the following:

(srcore:684): gnopernicus-CRITICAL **: file libsrconf.c: line 247
(sr_config_changed_callback): assertion `entry->value' failed

Why does this appear and can anyone think of any solutions or workarounds?
Someone had a similar problem in a RedHat forum but no-one had answered that one.

I'm running Testing with a 2.4 kernel and the AWE 32 drivers and currently no ALSA, I think. I've installed Gnopernicus, gnome-speech, gnome-mag, festival and gnome with apt-get.

In one mini Gnopernicus tutorial, it was adviced that you install gnopernicus, festival and gnome-speech with all dependencies. How do I do this with apt-get? I thought it should auto-install any dependent packages anyway.

Regarding that assert message, as far as I know assertions are a kind of runtime, debugging aid. An app should only give an assertion if something goes terribly wrong, that is something unexpected happens.

Thanks for your advice as always.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@mail.student.oulu.fi)
Accessibility, game music, synthesizers and more: