Re: New Member Intro, Installation Help

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Veli-Pekka Tatila wrote:

 > Andor Demarteau wrote:
 > > devicefiles are present yes, this doesn't mena that there are devices
 > > attached to the files.
 > Ah, I see. I know that dev/dsp is a symbolik link but that's about it. I'm
 > bit unsure as to where it should actually be pointing at. Mandrake 9.2 used
 > to lose the sound card on another machine occasionally if I had been in
 > Windows.
on my systems it points to /dev/dsp0

 > > isa-cards are tricky, specially the isapnp once *which AFAIK your card
 > > is).
 > Urgh yes, AWE32 is a physically very long ISA card. Would newer kernels or
 > the textmode Redhat sound configuration tools help?
dunno, I don't know Redhat tools too well.
isapnptools may help or maybe the siapnp drivers in the 2.4.x kernels
(probably ion 2.6 as well).

 > > dpkg -l <pattern> searches on package-name
 > Howabout
 > apt-cache search pattern
 > I used that. but it tends to be slow if I say something like:
 > apt-cache search .*gnome.*
I think apt-cahce is even better, never knew it existed :)
probably took long cuase there are loads of packages with the word gnome
in their namaes/dscription

 > > yes you can. But I find compilign them myself better mostly.
 > That's what people are telling me, hehe. I'd like to get things done quickly
 > and most access thingies up and running painlessly at this point, worrying
 > about performance and disk space usage much much later. Besides, I've never
 > compiled a kernel in my life, though I have seen it being done and it was
 > not awfully difficult. I know I need to take that step at some point but I
 > would not want to tackle it just yet.I had to do that within a week
after my debian system was installed for me :)
took me 3 hours to get it configured. It's well worth the effort.

 > How does it know the right sampling rate and isn't there some header that
 > sounds like garbage?
well I haven't seen any .au files which were high quality and all that I
ever found played nicely over /dev/audio

--
Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: ademarte@cs.uu.nl
student computer science        www: http://www.students.cs.uu.nl/~ademarte/