Re: Serial Install Help and IRC Daemon Idea (WAS: New Member INtro ...)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Veli-Pekka Tatila wrote:
 > I was sort of hoping I'd be able to start working on someone else's sources,
 > one advantage of open source, definitely. I mean taking a very basic demon
 > app, removing real functionality and replacing it with the IRC stuff.
well a deamon is simply a proram that runs in the background and performs
some tasks there.
So an existing irc-client with a socket or network interfface doing the
connection&protocol stuff would work nicely in the background.

 > Are these real interrrupts or some callbacks?
callbacks.

 > THX in advance. How do we transfer the stuff?
I'll put it on the web somewhere :)

 > I've got VDSL 10 megabits on both directions ideally. In practise, hardly
 > ever over 500 kilobytes a sec even from Microsoft.
morn then enough.

 > That could work. How early on will I be able to use SSH. Can I do all
 > critical stuff such as choice of partitions and packages to be installed on
 > my own?  What's the absolute minimum before I can run an SSH server in the
 > setup? I suppose network setup is easy as I have a Telewell box that does
 > NAT translation and also PPPOE as well as dynamic DHCP, I think.
AFAIK just after netwrok-install.
You will be able to do everything critical to the install.

 > A silly question: can I get Windows-like case behaior in Linux? That is file
 > name case being stored but not usually significant in commands.
NO you can't and you actually don't want it either :)
I suggest you have a look at this howto (maybe too basic, but it'll give
you some clues on the big differences)
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO.html

 > PS: Hope you don't mind if I post this on the list as others may have
 > something to contribute. When we get mostly down to personal stuff, I'll
 > take it off-list then.
grand.

--
Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: ademarte@cs.uu.nl