Re: Current kernel for Atari Falcon install?

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

Hello David!
I'm afraid your machine has not enough memory to run Linux. I don't think
you won't get far with just 14 MiB of memory and I wouldn't be surprised
if that's the reason the kernel won't boot for you.

Hi Adrian,

Ah, thanks for this. That's a shame. So Debian has evolved beyond the ability to run on any stock Atari hardware bar the TT? The Falcon is physically unable to address more than 14Mb without getting out the soldering iron and replacing the CPU and bus.

Doing some more digging I see Michael Schmitz mentioned the same in passing last year (https://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2018/09/msg00003.html), but the positive there is it sounds like the kernel itself (from 2018) ought to be able to boot, but I may need a sysvinit release. Would that be Pre-Jessie?

Also it sounds like Geert was able to build a working 3.16 kernel in 2015 (https://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2016/06/msg00059.html), so that may be an option.

Thanks again,

--
David.