Re: Updated installer image

Am 09.09.2018 um 08:15 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de>:

> On 9/8/18 7:28 PM, Ingo Jürgensmann wrote:
>> This one doesn’t work for me. I tried it on Spice (A3000/060, PicassoIV, X-Surf 100), but after booting with video=amifb:pal-lace no with video=cirrusfb: - the screen stays grey, although the Power LED is doing its heartbeat blinking, but no progress after 5 mins so far…
> I would always suggest to use a serial console instead of a frame
> buffer to boot the kernel on Debian/m68k as the serial console is
> more reliable than any frame buffer device.
> Debian Installer has actually gained support for installation over
> a serial console a while ago as it runs the installer within a
> screen session. All GNU screen shortcuts work.

Hmmm, although having the option to have a serial console during boot & installation is always a plus, it’s not very user-friendly for beginners that want to install Debian on their Amigas and are then faced with the issue to connect via serial console.
Especially on Amigas with CIAs soldered can become a real issue when a wrong serial cable will be used.
So the preferred option should always be to not depend on additional hardware such as serial consoles.

--
Ciao...          //        http://blog.windfluechter.net
      Ingo     \X/     XMPP: ij@jabber.windfluechter.net

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc