Re: Reminder: m68k meeting 7th Sep to 9th Sep @ Linuxhotel / Germany

Hi,

Am 02.09.2018 um 01:04 schrieb Stefan Niestegge:

There is no sense in bringing a (Coldfire based) Firebee, is there?

I will bring 3 Atari Machines:

Falcon 060,  90MHz, 14/512 MB RAM, IDE storage, USB, EtherNat
TT030,       32MHz, 10/128 MB RAM, SCSI and IDE storage, USB
MST4 (PAK030)50MHz, 4/64 MB RAM, SCSI and IDE Storage, USB, ISA upgrade
with NE2000 Ethernet and ATi Mach32 gfx card

As written in other thread, we're failing to boot the kernel on the 030
machines. Lets check out why...

Don't forget to bring something to capture kernel messages on :-)

4 MB ST-RAM won't be enough for a kernel and ramdisk - you'll need to load the kernel to the TT-RAM chunk (and will lose use of the ST-RAM chunk, except for the stram_pool size part mapped for the ST-RAM allocator. Default pool size is 1 MB, no need to reduce that unless you only have ST-RAM).

Booting should work either way, the kernel will take around 4 MB once booted, leaving enough room for ramdisk and a little user space before TT-RAM gets used.

14 MB ST-RAM alone is not enough with today's userland BTW, though it works (just about) with older systems based on sysvinit. Christian tried booting his Falcon with only ST-RAM and systemd a few months ago and it ran out of memory halfway through the boot.

Both 030 machines not booting does suggest something else is wrong with either kernel config or 030 memory management (such as the iounmap() hang fixed earlier in the year).

If it helps getting started with your testing, I can supply a kernel image and matching modules that does run on my Falcon this very moment.

Cheers,

	Michael

I could also bring the Mac LCIII (36MB, SD-on-SCSI), Ethernet. Bring or
leave at home?

Greetings,
Stefan