Re: debian-installer progress and input needed

On Mon, 15 May 2017, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Recently, I made some progress with debian-installer on m68k and got it
> to build on m68k, at least the cdrom installer. It can be downloaded for
> testing purpose here [1]. It should work in emulators like Aranym and
> qemu-m68k in system mode.

Nice work!

> I haven't tested the installer myself yet, but Laurent Vivier had a go
> and he confirmed it actually loaded the installer from initrd \o/.
>
> However, there is one task that needs to be addressed and for that I
> need help. Since d-i hasn't been touched on m68k for a long time, the
> kernel module list is outdated and hence hardware like CD-ROM drives and
> similar are not detected.
>
> Thus, I would to ask around which modules are needed for the various
> hardware people have, e.g. SCSI driver for 68k Macs, IDE drivers for
> Amiga and Atari and so on.

For m68k Macs, the SCSI, IDE, FDC and NIC driver modules are,

	mac_esp
	mac_scsi

	macide

	swim_mod

	mac8390
	macmace
	mac89x0
	macsonic

Their respective Kconfig symbols are:

	CONFIG_SCSI_MAC_ESP
	CONFIG_MAC_SCSI

	CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MAC_IDE

	BLK_DEV_SWIM

	CONFIG_MAC8390
	CONFIG_MACMACE
	CONFIG_MAC89x0
	CONFIG_MACSONIC

Any other Mac-specific modules (ADB, FB, SCC etc) should probably be
built-in.

> The drivers need to be added to the corresponding module list in [2]
> which will add them to module packages. The module packages then have to
> be included in the pkg-list for d-i on m68k [3]. Of course, the drivers
> need to be enabled in the kernel configuration as well.
>
> Another issue that needs to be addressed is that the loop-modules udeb
> package needs to be enabled for src:linux on m68k because it's required
> for the hdmedia d-i images. But I can open a bug report for that as
> well.

Installer images would be awesome (I gather that there is no ISO yet...)