Re: Linux/m68k config again

Finn Thain dixit:

>CONFIG_EARLY_CONSOLE got disabled by default because I changed the
>default. I had mistakenly assumed that the new mainline default would get
>over-ridden in Debian kernel configs.

Ah, okay. No, Debian reduces the kernel configs actually shipped
to the delta one needs against the default upstream config, so that
we pick up mainline changes automatically in most cases. This is
deliberate on the Debian side, and IMHO upstream defaults should
be somewhat sane too…

>CONFIG_EARLY_CONSOLE=n makes it difficult to help Debian users (for
>example the boot failure due to lack of FPU emulation was diagnosed using
>the early console and the issue with '030 futuex support was mis-diagnosed
>due to lack of the early console).

Indeed. But this is not just true for Debian users, right?

>I suggest that these should be explicitly enabled in the Debian config:
>CONFIG_EARLY_CONSOLE=y
>CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG=y
>CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG_TTYS=y
>CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG_CONSOLE=y

Why don’t you change these upstream? That’s easier for all of us…

But, I can also try to get that into the Debian configs. This will
take a while though, if it gets picked up at all, that is…

Enabling these four is safe even on a nōn-Macintosh, then?

Please give feedback about whether I should bug the Debian
maintainers, or whether you fix this upstream.

Thanks,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt