Re: Centris 650: buildd candidate?

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Brad Boyer wrote:

> The extra RAM is good for builds. However, the SCSI performance on these
> systems hasn't always been particularly good. I think Finn got the PDMA
> working which should improve the disk throughput.

It helps a lot. e2fsck is four times faster. I've been hoping to get that
code onto the buildd macs, but the upstream merge window is about to open
and I've been concentrating on getting a different patch ready. When I get
time I'll put a kernel build up and give Christian the information he
needs to make a debian one.

> Even the fastest real 68k hardware would only have about double or
> triple the real CPU power of that system, but some of them have much
> better disk I/O. It might be worth seeing how long some compiles take
> just as a comparison.

I think the Centris 650 is a bit slower than the Quadra 650 due to system
bus speed? The LC040 chip in the Centris may present a problem too. It
should be possible to get parts though. There was a computer recycler who
posted to this list recently...

-f