Re: more (aranym) buildds needed

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 08:48:16AM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> So we need more buildds. Specifically, I think we need some more fast
> aranym buildds, at least to get us even again. I can tell you that theia
> is a pleasure to work with and built boost more than twice as fast as
> any of our other buildds (that's without any other enhancements like
> distcc or ccache -- that also sounds impressive until you realize that
> it was like 11 times slower than the next slowest arch). I'm also
> looking forward to getting NFBLOCK working.

Hmmm, although I welcome the possibility of using aranym buildds, I'm more
in favour of using real hardware whenever possible. ;)
Christians buildds are offline for a long time now and I hope he can
resurrect them soon.

> So if you have a reasonably fast pc with at least a gig or two of ram
> and internet access that is otherwise not terribly busy, let's put it
> to work. I suspect having 5 or 6 would seriously change that curve.

Currently I have a 2.8 Pentium4 with 2 GB RAM doing nothing. But it's not a
machine that's not supposed to be online 24/7.

But what's about the "removing packages"-idea like boost, flight simulators
or other heavy weight apps rarely used on m68k?
I think getting aranym buildds up and running will be just an intermediate
solution. There are more and more packages to be, steadily increasing in
number, and it seems just a matter of time when all those aranym buildds
won't be enough again to keep up.
Maybe we can get a natively built and uptodate core Debian for m68k and a
best-effort {stable}-m68k suite for other software (built by aranym
buildds)? And yes, it's difficult to tell which package should end up in
core or in {stable}-m68k...

--
Ciao...                //        Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo           \X/         SIP: 2744150@sipgate.de

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc