Planning for the future (was: debootstrapping m68k-coldfire)

Well, the question is if both coldfire and m68k could be both hosted as seperate ports remains to be seen. On one hand, we have ports like mips and mipsel which only differ in the endian ordering. On the other hand, Debian SuperH died because it would require four (?!) ports. I'm not an expert in these matters (the only port I have seriously been involved with before this is hurd-i386 ... yes, you can laugh now).

As for a mini-debian distro, we could create a Custom Debain Distribition for m68k and such. Still, if we can provide a full Debian archive in addition to a CDD, that would probably be ideal. Unfortantely, with four buildds down, we're not in a good situation at the moment. In addition, we're not going to be able to release with lenny (baring a small^W major miracle).

Until we're at a state we can offically release with Debian again,
we should probably create an unoffical m68k Debian distro unless we want to leave what few users we have left running etch-m68k (and considering that we're looking at lenny+1 to re-release, thats a time period of quite possibly years. I'm willing to host such a setup, and I got a friend I can get into mirroring it (and a few other people here might). We can leave our unstable here, but we should have stable releases (with updates) hosted somewhere for users in the intern until we can meet release criteria.

Here's what I purpose what we do (and if we can ever do the video conferencing, I'd love to talk about this face to face).

- Figure out what we want to include in an embedded Custom Debian
  Distribition. I can figure out quite a few things just sitting here
  writing this emails. We should also offer this CDD for i686, ARM,
  MIPS(el), and any other embedded architecture to generate interest.

- Bootstrap m68k-coldfire as a seperate port to interest coldfire
  developers. If it proves fessiable to merge the two ports into one
  binary port, we simply need to provide an upgrade path.

- If we ever get a CDD off the ground, look into offering uclibc as an
  alternative since most embedded chips do not have an MMU

- Determine if we're going to break for Debian for the time being and
  release as an unoffical distro for etch r4, lenny, and whatever else is
  needed until we can merge back in.

There are probably a few things I'm missing, but that's all my brain can muster at 7:22am.
Michael