Re: working xorg.conf i promised

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Brian Morris wrote:

> On 6/5/07, Brad Boyer <flar@allandria.com> wrote:
>
> > four letter acronym you saw is DAFB, which is the name of the
> > particular hardware in the Q650 (among others).
>
> well I wondered if it were a real chip or simply a generic name like
> "Mac". seems to just stand for "Digital/Analog Frame Buffer"

(For the record) "Direct Access Frame Buffer". From Apple's Q630
datasheet,

    The display memory controller in the Valkyrie IC is similar to the
    DAFB IC used in the Macintosh Quadra 700 and 900 computers and to the
    display portion of the MEMCjr IC used in the Macintosh Quadra 605
    computer.

> well my priority is with the q630 to have keypad support and xemacs X
> support first (to support my goal use it as educational development
> platform, exploiting the uniformity of "debian is debian"). also seems
> there is some other bottleneck on 630 which causes for instance very
> slow some Xapps which do work such as pdf viewers (looks like ~20% the
> speed of macos which seems unreasonable especially considering other
> things that work OK, although better than totally broken it is not
> exactly useable).

Unreasonable? Maybe... PDF viewers have almost certainly bloated since
early Acrobat as the format grew. But in fairness, unless these programs
are functionally equivalent, the comparison is a bit meaningless. You may
be able to find a more basic pdf viewer? (I'd give gv a shot if you
haven't already. I can't say I've tried it under etch myself...).

-f