Re: Installing Etch on A1200 with blizzard 1230mkIV update

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 08:32:46AM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 04:41:13AM +0200, rvalles wrote:
> > I've done tons of tests. At the end, it seems the 2.6.18-4 kernel image
> > just won't accept any initrd, even the old ones.
>
> Bummer. Maybe one of ya'll amiga guys can confirm?
>
> > On the other hand, vmlinuz-2.4.27-amiga from stable does work with any
> > of the initrds, from stable or unstable. Maybe it's just that the
> > 2.6.18-4 kernel image for amiga is broken and nobody noticed up until
> > now; I don't have older images to try, or linux-capable amiga equipment
> > other than my blizzard 1230mkIV, therefore I cannot do any more tests.
> >
> > If I'm left with no option, in a few days I'll use 2.4 to partition
> > the drive and create the filesystems, then unpack unstable's base
> > tarball to some partition and boot it using 2.6.18-4, which seems to
> > work besides the initrd issue.
>
> If 2.4 works for you, I'd be inclined to install with d-i from sarge.
> There's not really an unstable base tarball any more (unless you make
> your own).

Since I don't have a network card anyways, I believe I'll be doing this:
1. boot 2.4 + initrd from unstable
2. go to a terminal, partition and format stuff, unpack base
3. boot base with 2.6
4. unpack base again to a new partition, created with this ext3 options
that are only available in 2.6. (yeah, I've lost it)
5. boot new partition with 2.6.
6. set up some dumb-modem + ppp/slip thingy to get out to the world.
7. have a fight with the network card.

So much for my free time!
--
- Do you study theories? - Oh yes! Theories are fun. - How do you use them? - When I must act, theories are too slow. To act, I must know.