Re: Etch D-I on Q610

Le 27 mars 07 à 15:30, Finn Thain a écrit :

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Laurent Vivier wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to install Etch on a Q610 using Etch netinst CD-ROM

As my Q610 has got only 40 MB, D-I is working in low memory mode.
All works fine until it tries to detect the CD-ROM: it just doesn't find it
whereas it is detected on the SCSI bus.
Perhaps drivers sg/sr are missing ? Is this a bug ? Is there a workaround ?

The CDROM didn't work for me either (in 2.6.20). The kernel reported
something like "offlined due to errors" during probing, and once booted
wouldn't open /dev/sr0 (I don't remember the exact errors). I didn't
pursue it. If it is a mac_esp bug then it isn't the only one. mac_scsi is
worse in that the kernel crashes during SCSI probing. But I'm not planning
to even look at those bugs until I'm finished with ADB and the RTC. (I use
an NFS root to avoid SCSI hassles on those machines that suffer from
them.)

In fact I don't have problem with SCSI: hard disk is seen (I can mount partitions), CDROM too.
But I  think sr_mod is missing. In fact, in /lib, there is no modules.
The kernel used is the one from the CDROM (2.6.18-4).

On my Q800, I have upgraded a Sarge to an Etch and all is working fine and CDROM is handled correctly.
The kernel I use is Christian's one (http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/linux-image/linux-image-2.6.18-4-mac_2.6.18.dfsg.1-11_m68k.deb).

Laurent