Re: Future of m68k - Etch and beyond

Hi,

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:

> I agree with you that dpkg and other tools are dog slow. I got the feeling
> that especially scripts are very slow on m68k (interpreted languages).
> The performance difference between AmigaOS and Linux is enourmous, even when
> you consider the overhead of memory protection and other stuff. And the
> difference is getting bigger and bigger.

I really badly noticed some time ago with a package which took a really
long to complete its test suite (I think it was db4.5), where even arm
needed only a half hour, even our fast machines where busy for a day. I
looked a bit into it and according to top half that time was spend in tcl.
I looked a bit into it and my current best guess is that some string
function could use some more optimizations...

bye, Roman