Re: Hardware for Debian-68k

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 11:25:40AM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > Personnally I would favor a location where it can serve as
> > > a distcc server for real m68k buildds.
> > Well, then it should be placed in Duesseldorf where kullervo, crest and q650
> > are located. That would have be the benefit that the aranym instance could
> > be used by all DDs using the chroots on crest.
> Sorry, but adding more machines to our already-full server room in
> Duesseldorf isn't really an option. This space squeeze will continue while
> the lab is being remodeled until October at least (I've added a picture to
> the old kullervo upgrade page on crest to illustrate the point).
> After the remodeling, the machines may still fit into the new location,
> but even this is unclear at the moment. I'll have to discuss this with the
> lab people.

Hmmm, other options?
Place that machine somewhere and use it as a remote distcc host? I've
already tested such a setup via two DSL uplinks (between arrakis and spice
back then), which is a quite slow connection by itself. But it did still
reduced the kernel build time by 50%.
Because crest, kullervo and q650 all have direct access to the internet (10
Mbps, not behind NATted DSL), they could make good use of the distcc hosts
anyway.

--
Ciao...                //        Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo           \X/         SIP: 2744150@sipgate.de

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij/public_key.asc