Re: Buildd

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 11:23:21AM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > Could it be possible to experiment with using crosscc+distcc on this
> > machine ? That would require a local fast box to run a distcc server.
>
> That would perhaps be possible, the gateway box is a amd64 3000+ - Mark
> will have to install the distcc server there. I suggest using an extra
> chroot for the distcc setup, which I can set up myself.
>
> Right now, mail from the box out doesn't work (and mail inbound
> probably doesn't work, either). We'd need to fix that in order to use the
> system for real automated building.
>
> Can you give me step-by-step instructions on setting up distcc?

Preliminaries:
1) You probably want to run gcc-cross on i386-sid.
So if the host does not run i386-sid, install a i386-sid chroot.
(I do not have experience with gcc-cross on amd64-sid or i386-sarge, so
if you want to stay in known territories, stay with that.
I know gcc used to have issue crosscompiling between 64bit and 32bit
but this was a long time ago.)

2) You probably want to use a private network to communicate
with the m68k machine for security reason.

So I will assume the amd64 run i386-sid and there is a private network
10.10.0.0/24 between amd64 and m68k box.
amd64 has IP 10.10.0.2, m68k has IP 10.10.0.101.

On the amd64:
1) apt-get install distcc
2) edit /etc/default/distcc this way;
STARTDISTCC="true"
ALLOWEDNETS="10.10.0.101"
LISTENER="10.10.0.2"

(NOTE: that will _not_ allow the amd64 to use the distcc client)
3) /etc/init.d/distcc start
(if you use a chroot, arrange for distcc to be started when the machine
reboot)
4) Install gcc-cross. The packages are in the tarball
<http://people.Debian.org/~ballombe/m68k/cross-4.1.1-20.tgz>
and you also need
<http://people.Debian.org/~ballombe/m68k/binutils-m68k-linux-gnu_2.17-3_i386.deb>
(note: they are for sid-i386 and they are "dependent" packages:
they depend gcc-4.1-base (= 4.1.1-20).
I can rebuild them for sid-amd64 if you want)

In the m68k _buildd_chroot_:
1) install distcc
2) install crosscc from Roman Zippel.
3) export DISTCC_HOSTS=10.10.0.2
gcc -c hello.c
Check /var/log/distccd.log on the amd64
4) I suggest to add to your .sbuildrc
$build_env_cmnd = "env DISTCC_HOSTS=10.10.0.2 ";
So DISTCC_HOSTS is set up correctly when building packages.

I hope I did not forget anything.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>