Re: cross gcc-4.1.1-20 packages and using distcc+crosscc

> yeah, its funny: when i pointed my browser to http://http.us.debian.org i
> wound up at the OSU opensource labs mirror, but as i downloaded some
> files it redirected my back to debian. i always am using their mirror for my
> ppc-mac updates because i always get 404s from debian, even the above
> adress that works in my browser is broken for apt-get updates.

That should be reported to the FTP team - mirrors returning 404 need to be
taken out of the DNS round-robnin rotation if they are not fixed.

While you're at it, report it to the release team as well. More bit rot.

> since it happens on two different machines i use, i tend to believe the
> server is at fault. but i didn't realize there could be several far apart in
> physical location.
>

> > Either way, a Debian mirror without debian/ sounds broken.
>
> well at least at some spots they have been postings notes "expect breakage",
> or "temporarily out of service". you don't see those unless you are
> using web browser.

Again, if these are known broken they should not be used in the rotation.
If you hardcode a particular mirror in the sources.list, you should always
have a backup mirror configured :-)

> isn't ftp supposed to be deprecated anyway now for quite a while ?

Considering how long telnet has been deprecated, I won't hold my breath