Re: First package build on aranym+distcc+NFS

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 20:27 +0100, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
>
> > > Lets add firefox and perhaps ghc to that. My mac has network problems,
> > > so using distcc there to build firefox is a no-go. And the amiga just
> > > decided to crash after building ghc for four days. I am not sure if
> > > distcc would help there, since it spends a lot of time running the just
> > > built ghc.
> >
> > Arrakis crashed twice during the build of ghc6 as well, so I'd assume a
> > more serious problem that results in crashes and is triggered by ghc6...
>
> I managed to build ghc6_6.4.2-2, but it really took ages, it uses the -x
> option a lot, so the compiling happens on the local machine and to make it
> worse, it manages to trigger the 2.6 VM problems, so I had to compile it
> under 2.4. Using a lot of memory should also help (> 256MB) otherwise it
> spends a lot of time swapping.
>
> bye, Roman

Ethernec driver for my falcon would really help right about now.  I
don't know if I posted this yet, but my attempts to port the EtherNAT
drivers were met with confusion.  I'm just not good enough yet to get a
job like this done.  I can provide root access to the machine through
serial console if someone else wants to try it.  With access they can
make builds or whatever.  If it'd be easier, I can also do a 115200
serial ppp connection so you can use ssh, etc.

FWIW, linux is a heck of a lot faster at certain things than mint, no
doubt due partially to the proper fork/threads implementation and proper
MMU/virtual memory.

Thanks,
Mark