Re: arches and etch

[Camm Maguire]
> I just wanted to make a few observations about the recent decision to
> scrap m68k from etch:
[several archs have problems at the moment]

I guess this is as good opportunity as possible to report the current
architecture distribution as collected by popularity-contest:

    1   0.01% ppc64
    2   0.01% i486
    2   0.01% hurd-i386
    2   0.01% kfreebsd-amd64
    6   0.03% s390
    9   0.05% kfreebsd-i386
   11   0.06% m68k
   16   0.09% armeb
   19   0.11% mips
   24   0.14% mipsel
   29   0.16% ia64
   45   0.26% hppa
   58   0.33% alpha
  139   0.79% sparc
  258   1.47% powerpc
  406   2.31% arm
 1662   9.44% amd64
14917  84.73% i386
17606 100.00% total (ignored 278 without arch info)

I read from this that several of the archs need more people and more
machines using the archs.  I also read from it that we have a lot of
different architectures working with Debian, and that is great. :)

One exciting thing with the next etch release is that the default
installer will ask if the machine should submit information to
popcon.debian.org.  I look forward to see how that will affect the
number of machines submitting, as well as how it will affect the
architecture distribution. :)

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen